Tourney roundup! - Week of January 22nd, 2018
Jan 31, 2018
Tournaments covered this week
- Tick Tock Tuesdays 18 (January 23rd)
- Young Ink Qualifiers (January 27th)
- InkCage II (January 27th/28th)
Tick Tock Tuesdays 18
Bracket Highlights from this week's Tick Tock:
- quantuM had little trouble in an almost flawless performance, sweeping through fourth place Team Upgrade and runner up Neptune in order to win this Tick Tock Tuesdays event!
- Two teams to watch for after this event:
- Team Upgrade, after they narrowly finished fourth, losing the bronze match to Circlejerk (Saikai) 3-2.
- Tempo!, while they finished top 8 and got swept by Team Upgrade, they did find a way to topple Legacy 3-2, just a few days after the latter had their very well known showdown with STDx at G5.
- For more on the Legacy/STDx match, see here!
Young Ink Qualifiers
What you want to know from Young Ink qualifiers:
- For those that don't know how Young Ink works, none of the teams get disqualified from the event if they complete day 1, which is what happened here. The rankings simply determine whether teams will be placed in the S or S+ bracket (aka lower or higher bracket, respectively).
- Team S4 came away with the top spot, finishing a perfect 6-0 after six rounds of Swiss match-ups!
Their roster looks like this:
- Two other teams I would like to shout-out were the teams that tied for the second highest winning percentage overall, both going 5-1 in their sets:
- Divinity, featuring fellow InkTV staff member Hermes and friend of many on InkTV staff, Fate.
- Instant Ramen, a team I have seen in many of the weekly tourneys our scene has.
- Both teams lost only one set (both of those sets they lost 2-1), and Instant Ramen beat the only team that Divinity lost to, Firebrand.
- Be sure to catch Young Ink finals THIS SATURDAY (February 3rd, 2018) at 1 pm EST RIGHT HERE!
Smash.gg page The second InkCage, covered over two days. But what happened? Here's a summary!
- Team Olive and, after a reverse sweep in losers finals, Kraken Paradise battled it out in grand finals, with Team Olive coming out on top! What this means is Olive will be the first seed from InkCage to move on to SplatChampionship's Platinum Cup, while Kraken Paradise will be seed two of two.
- It should be noted that, while Team Olive never lost a set in the top 12 bracket, Kraken Paradise had a completely different route to grand finals, having to go through FIVE teams in the losers bracket just to qualify for Platinum Cup.
- Three teams of note that may not have been expected to make top 12, in a very stacked tournament, included Fully Torqued, Translucent, and TakeOver!!
- The event itself was the first real attempt at an actual "waterfall" format in the Splatoon community, incorporated from the Smash community, which EGtv also covers.
- It should be noted that a modified waterfall format was test run during the Splatoon event at Genesis 5, possibly in preparation for InkCage II.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Register to leave a comment!