Tourney roundup! - Week of April 23rd, 2018
May 02, 2018
Tournaments covered this week
- BnS Season 2 Clam Blitz Edition! (April 26th)
- US/Canadian Inkling Open top 8 (April 28th)
- Squid Spawning Grounds 9 (April 28th)
BnS Season 2 Clam Blitz Edition!
Top cut: Bleck! Here's a Spoon-fed recap of the most recent BnS!
- The stars of the new BnS were at it again, as this time Team Upgrade went undefeated to claim the title that ended season 2!
- After making top 16 in the US/Canadian Inkling Open the prior Saturday, another team may be emerging in the North American scene, as "Duck Dolla Bill$" took down Vitamin Sea in the group stage and Kairos in the top cut stage to finish second overall!
US/Canadian Inkling Open top 8
Easily one of the biggest events we've seen in the Western scene came to a close on Saturday, and here's what you need to know!
- For information on the event itself or the results of the qualifying stage on the 21st, check out this piece by my InkTV colleague and good friend Hermes or my tourney roundup from last week respectively!
- Two years, two names, same result! Once again, the team formerly known as Deadbeat won the US/Canadian Inkling Open! Last year, they were known as Deadbeat, but this year? They're known as SetToDestroyX (STDx)!
- What does this mean? We'll let the SplatStats Twitter account do the honors!
For those unaware, this is what that means. The four teams that won their region's qualifying event will travel to Los Angeles during E3 2018 and compete for the Splatoon 2 World Championship! Those teams are the following:
- SetToDestroyX, from North America (last year's winners, under the name Deadbeat)
- GG Boyz, from Japan
- Gucci Gang, from the EU (currently going under the name "Pandora")
- Yeah Nah, from Australia/New Zealand
- Even though they did not come in first, neither TOMO nor Saikai will walk away from this event empty-handed.
- For finishing second, each member of TOMO will receive both a download code for the "Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion DLC" and a Pearl and Marina amiibo 2-pack.
- For finishing third, each member of Saikai will receive a Pearl and Marina amiibo 2-pack.
- Note: In addition to the all-expenses-paid trip to E3, each member of STDx will also receive a download code for the "Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion DLC" and a Pearl and Marina amiibo 2-pack.
Squid Spawning Grounds 9
Author's note: I heard the requests on Twitter recently for more new team or "Young Ink-esque" tournaments. This is one such event, as it is a biweekly tournament on Saturday evenings. For more information, feel free to join their Discord server!
The new squids are spawning, and here's what they are up to!
- The winning team, OctoPi, only lost two games in top cut and took down first seed (based on the Swiss stage) Fools World to take the title!
- This tournament and Squid Spawning Grounds 8 are the two largest events in the series to date, with an even 20 teams!
- For those interested, Snek of OctoPi usually streams the tournament live, so go check out his streams for all the action!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Register to leave a comment!